This article provides information on the laws for Cutting, Pruning, Trimming, removing of trees in Mumbai and how to prevent illegal cutting of trees.
Which law governs tree cutting and pruning in Mumbai?
Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act
s 383. Removal and trimming of trees, shrubs and hedges.
(1) If, in the opinion of the Commissioner,—
(a) any hedge is at any time insufficiently cut or trimmed, or over-grown, with prickly-pear or other rank vegetation; or
(b) any tree or shrub has fallen or is likely to fall, to the danger of public safety, or over-hangs or obstructs any street to the inconvenience or danger of passengers therein;
the Commissioner may, by written notice, require the owner or occupier of the land on which such hedge, tree or shrub is or has been growing—
(c) to cut down such hedge to a height not exceeding four feet and to a width, not exceeding three feet, and to remove any such prickly-pear or other rank vegetation therefrom; or
(d) to remove, cut, lop or trim such tree or shrub, as the case may be.
(2) In any case falling under clause (b), the Commissioner may, if for the public safety it shall appear to him necessary so to do, cause any tree or shrub to be removed, cut, lopped or trimmed, without previously giving the said owner ‘or occupier notice as aforesaid, and the expenses thereof shall, nevertheless, be paid by the owner or occupier.
Can the BMC / MCGM cut or prune trees on the premises of a Private Society or Owner?
The BMC is not responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of trees on private premises.
However, under the BMC Act 1881, they cannot prune trees on private premises, but can survey the premises and order the owners to trim them if:
- any tree or shrub has fallen or is likely to fall, or
- is a danger to public safety, or
- over-hangs or obstructs any street to the inconvenience or danger of passengers
In case of grave danger, the BMC may cut or trim the tree without giving any notice to the owner of the premises and charge the owner, the cost of cutting the trees.
Who can apply for a tree to be cut or pruned?
What is the meaning of pruning or trimming?
How should you apply to cut a tree or the branches of a tree? What is the procedure?
- Application form duly filled & signed by the Applicant.
- Location Map of the area marked with the tree(s)
- Serial No. Of Tree(s) to be Cut.
- Photograph(s) of the Tree(s)
- Registration Copy if Applied Online.
Where can you complain about a fallen tree in Mumbai?
Dial the MCGM Disaster Management Helpline at 1916 or if it is an imminent danger to public, call the Fire Brigade at 101.