The law on Pollution Under Control (PUC) in India
This article explains about the Certification Mark of PUC for Motor Vehicles in India.
What is PUC?
PUC (Pollution Under Control) is a Certification Mark issued to certify that motor vehicles in India meet emission and pollution control norms.
Which vehicles must have PUC?
All motor vehicles must have a valid PUC Certificate.
The term motor vehicle is defined in Section 2(28) of The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988:
(28) “motor vehicle” or “vehicle” means any mechanically propelled vehicle adapted for use upon roads whether the power of propulsion is transmitted thereto from an external or internal source and includes a chassis to which a body has not been attached and a trailer; but does not include a vehicle running upon fixed rails or a vehicle of a special type adapted for use only in a factory or in any other enclosed premises or a vehicle having less than four wheels fitted with engine capacity of not exceeding twenty-five cubic centimetres; is transmitted thereto from an external or internal source and includes a chassis to which a body has not been attached and a trailer; but does not include a vehicle running upon fixed rails or a vehicle of a special type adapted for use only in a factory or in any other enclosed premises or a vehicle having less than four wheels fitted with engine capacity of not exceeding twenty-five cubic centimetres;”
What are the charges for PUC checking?
PUC charges vary from place to place, but are usually between Rs. 60 to Rs. 100 for a 4 wheeler – Petrol LMV.
What is the procedure for PUC tests?
For Diesel vehicles:
- The accelerator should be fully pressed.
- The reading of pollution levels should be noted with the acceleration pedal fully pressed.
- The average of five readings is considered as the Final Reading
For Petrol vehicles:
- The vehicle is kept idling without the accelerator pressed.
- Only one reading is taken.
What is the validity of a PUC Certificate?
|Sr. No.||PUC Test Reading||Validity|
|1||Less than 3 %||Less than 1.5 %||Less than 50 Hartridge Smoke Units.||6 Months|
|2||3 to 4 %||1.5 to 2.5 %||50 to 60 Hartridge Smoke Units||4 Months|
|3||4 to 4.5 %||2.5 to 3.00 %||60 to 65 Hartridge Smoke Units||2 Months|
What is the validity of PUC for a new car? When should the first PUC check be done on a new car?
The validity of PUC for a new car is 1 year from the date of registration.
Thereafter PUC tests must be done every 6 months. In the case of higher CO2 levels, refer to the table above.
What is required to undergo a PUC check?
Just your car.
What should be mentioned on the PUC Certificate?
The PUC certificate must mention:
- the certificate serial number
- the vehicle license plate number
- the date of testing
- the expiry date
- the emission readings
Who is authorised to conduct a PUC test?
The persons conducting the test should hold a minimum qualification of certificate in Automobile Engineering or Motor Mechanics issued by Industrial Training Institute of Government of Maharashtra and should also know the procedure for minor adjustments/repairs with which the pollution levels can be brought down, without affecting overall performance of the engine.
What are the pollution limits?
Refer to the table above to know the permitted emission limits.
What if my motor vehicle exceeds the pollution limits?
Incase of vehicles showing higher level of emissions than the prescribed limits under Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 the registration number of such vehicles should be informed to concerned RTO, Dy. RTO Or Asst. RTO by the permit holder of the testing Centre within 24 hours.
What should I do with the PUC Certificate? Do I need to keep the PUC Certificate in the vehicle?
Yes. You must carry a valid PUC certificate in the vehicle.
As per the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 Rule 115:
115. Emission of smoke, vapour, etc. from motor vehicles:
(7) After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid ‘Pollution under control’ certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government. The validity of the certificate shall be for six months and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule (1) of rule 116.
This means that you must have the PUC Certificate in the vehicle at all times and it must be produced immediately when asked by any officer not below the rank
of Sub-Inspector of Police or the Inspector of Motor Vehicles.
I have heard that it is NOT mandatory to keep the PUC Certificate in the vehicle and I can produce it within 7 days from the RTO officer asking me in writing.
That is NOT correct.
Section 115 (given above) is very clear that “the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand”
It has been misinterpreted as being part of Section 116 which states that:
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-rule (7) of rule 115 any officer not below the rank of Sub-Inspector of Police or the Inspector of Motor Vehicles who has reason to believe that a motor vehicle is not complying with the provisions of sub-rule (2) or sub-rule (7) of rule 115, may in writing direct the driver or any person incharge of the vehicle to submit the vehicle for conducting the test to measure the standards of emission in any one of the authorised testing stations, and produce the certificate to an authority at the address mentioned in the written direction within 7 days from the date of conducting the check.
Section 116 clearly starts with the word notwithstanding.
This means that even if a vehicle has a valid PUC Certificate as given in section 115, but the officer believes that the vehicle maybe a source of pollution beyond the limits, he may ask for the vehicle to be rechecked.
This order to retest the vehicle for PUC norms, must be in writing and can be replied to within 7 days.
It does not mean that the PUC certificate need not be carried with the vehicle or that it can be produced within 7 days.
Is the PUC valid throughout India? Do I need to take a separate PUC if I am travelling to a different state in India?
Yes. The PUC certificate is valid throughout India.
As per section 116:
(8) The certificate issued under sub-rule (7) shall, while it remains effective be valid throughout India.
I have a diesel car. The PUC outlets here (Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala) takes the idle reading only. Is it legal? OR Only heavy duty diesel vehicles(trucks/lorries) require full depress of accelerator?
For new Mercedes Benz do one require PUC?
I have a 2 months old byke .but as per sec 155 u have no need to carry puc certificate . But police challan me for the same is it valid.
Pls issue me a PUC machine for businesses purpose. Pls send me a mum. add & mob.no.thank you.
As per GSR 103(E), a proviso is added after Cl. 7 of Rule 115 and it says “Provided that the validity of the certificate shall be twelve months for the vehicles manufactured as per Bharat State-IV norms.”. But as per current situation the PUC centres in Maharashtra provide PUC certificates with only 6 months even for BS-IV vehicles. Can anyone explain the logic behind providing these certificates with less validity for BS-IV vehicles?
what is the reasons for higher the normal testing charge in arunachal pradesh. under this act. usually charge Rs.60 to 100 for LMV petrol, but in arunachal charge Rs.300/-
in Jogeshwari, where I can get the PUC certificate and where can I get an insurance of the car
Is pollution sticker is mandatory for New Vehicles
Is pollution sticker is mandatory for New Vehicles?
CAN POLICE CHECK PUC CERTIFICATE
IT WILL BE OF HELP IF YOU CAN KINDLY LET US KNOW IF THERE IS ANY GRACE PERIOD AFTER EXPIRY OF THE PUC FOR TWO WHEELER,
NEW TW PURCHASED ON 11.11.2015 AND VEHICLE REGISTERED ON 13.12.2015. CHALLAN ISSUED ON 13.05.2016 WHEN CAUGHT WITHOUT PUC. IT WILL BE OF HELP IF YOU CAN KINDLY LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANY GRACE PERIOD AFTER EXPIRY OF THE PUC FOR TWO WHEELER
Many police officers are giving challans to the vehicles in spite of not being old by one year. They are saying that for new vehicle, after six months only, owner should carry PUC instead of one year.
Can someone please help me ? Do we need pic for Vespa scooty
During inspection taken by concerned officers how much rpm must be taken…which mean rev per minutes…is the throttle be kept in slow running or must be rev at the highest limit….
Today I stopped by a Traffic police ( 12-Dec-2016) , he asked me insurance and PUC my PUC was expired on 7-DEC-2016 ( 4 days earlier) some of i have forgotten
I asked officer if there is any Grace period. he said no I have to pay 1000 Rs fine
1000 Rs is maxium fine he did not lower it
I am going to pay 1000 Rs fine as i forgotten the time line by 4 days however i belive s this is first time i have this fine i belive it should be less
PUC is mandatory for all vehicles and industries. Justify.
What is the charge of the puc certificate?
Thank you for such a detailed explanation!!
I have TVS 80CC vehicle, whether this vehicle needed PUC?
I have Purchased New CAR on 26-03-2017 Till when i dont need to get my Car Check up for PUC..
I HAVE GREEN CARD OF ECO FRIENDLY VEHICLE RULL 115(6), IT SHOWS NON POLLUTION VEHICLE HOW MANY DAYS IT VALID ?
Does Scooty, a 60cc non-geared two-wheeler, need the PUC?
One thing every customer have to know that 99 .9 percent PUC centres r issuing fake dtp operated certificates all over india. Transport department know very well about this fake certificates and they r not taking any action on this
To whom we have to complaint on these PUC centres other than Transport department
1) Who is authorized to check the PUC ?
2) What should I do when the PUC checking center charge me Rs. 350/ LMV/SUV ?
3) Is the authorized polution cheking center have the wright to check vehicles at any point in any time ?
4) If my vehicle is within PUC limit is it compulsory to check for PUC ?
Sir, Puc Test must for re newal of vehicle Insurance? Plese give mplement ation date
PUC is link to RTO or not? What is deposite in RTO for PUC
generally maruthi petrol vehichles are pollution free only. whether these vehichles required puc for 15 year period ( i.e., life tax period) private vehichles kindly give me clarification
I have BS4 bike Avenger , As per the law BS4 does not need any PUC for 1 year .
What will I produce if any Traffic Police ask me for PUC certificate.
The registration papers showing the registration date.
i have a bs 4 engine pulsar 220, does it need a puc?
Validity of PUC expired on 15/03/18 as am under medical treatment and unable to attend any PUC centre for continuation. Please guide me how can I update the PUC. The two wheeler is under KOLKATA city.
Is Public Transport Vehicles exempted from the PUC law ? They are ones that cause most pollution it seems.
If there is a law who is responsible to pay the fines ?
What’s the km and duration of new vehicles puc is not required .
1 years and 10000 kms … some one told me
I have bike bajaj dominar 400 date of purchase 8 may 2017 please suggest me for the PUC is required for my bike also . And how much validity of period for newly bike .
Do PUC required for BS 4 vehicle?
SIR , I HAVE BUY NEW CAR ON 13 AUGUST 2018 .. AS PER RULE PUC IS VALID FOR ONE YEAR . BUT POLICE MAN CHALLANED 1000/- INSPITE OF TALLING THE VALIDITY FOR PUC … WHAT CAN I DO..
Sir I have a PUC valid till Jul 2019 and my veh is ghaziabad registered and PUC is from Ghaziabad . The delhi police refused to accept the PUC certificate stating that the PUC of UP & Haryana is valid fro only 3 months from the date of issue in delhi and forced me to give him Rs 500 failing which he said will confiscate my car papers. I had to yield to the threat and loot as i had to travel outside the state for a family function. pl let me know the rules of PUC of other states validity in delhi so that the next time i can call the control room for help .
MY PUC IS EXPERIED DT ON 08.08.19, WHILE POLICE PERSON CHECKED MY VEHICLE TODAY, YOU HAVE NOT VALID POLLUTION CERTIFICATE . SO THEY FINED 1000/-. NOW I WILL SUBMIT TO THE CERTIFICATE. PL EXPLAIN THE FINE NOT TO PAY . THIS IS RIGHT OR WRONG
my motorcycle is Haryana Number, But Uttarakhand Gov. Dehradun not issue any Pollution Certificate of others state, why
What if my PUC lapses ,and do I need to pay any penalty for delayed PUC while renewing?
PUC CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED FOR DIESEL FORKLIFT?
puc is required for diesel forklift?