Temporary suspension of advocate’s practice in Maharashtra

This article explains how an advocate may temporarily suspend his/her Sanad or Certificate of Practice, when taking up any alternate occupation or employment.

As per The Bar Council of India Rules made under the Advocate Act 1961:

Section VII-Restriction on other Employments
47. An advocate shall not personally engage in any business; but he may be a sleeping partner in a firm doing business provided that in
the opinion of the appropriate State Bar Council, the nature of the business is not inconsistent with the dignity of the profession.
48. An advocate may be Director or Chairman of the Board of Directors of a Company with or without any ordinarily sitting fee,  provided none of his duties are of an executive character. An advocate shall not be a Managing Director or a Secretary of any  Company.

49. An advocate shall not be a full-time salaried employee of any  person, government, firm, corporation or concern, so long as he  continues to practise, and shall, on taking up any such employment,  intimate the fact to the Bar Council on whose roll his name appears and shall thereupon cease to practise as an advocate so long as he continues in such employment.

50. An advocate who has inherited, or succeeded by survivorship to a family business may continue it, but may not personally participate
in the management thereof. He may continue to hold a share with others in any business which has decended to him by survivorship or
inheritance or by will, provided he does not personally participate in the management thereof.

51. An advocate may review Parliamentary Bills for a remuneration, edit legal text books at a salary, do press-vetting for newspapers,
coach pupils for legal examination, set and examine question papers; and subject to the rules against advertising and full-time
employment, engage in broadcasting, journalism, lecturing and teaching subjects, both legal and non-legal.

Hence, if an Advocate takes up any other such business or profession, he must inform the Bar Council and get his name transferred to the list of Non-Practicing Advocates.

Procedure to suspend Advocate’s Practice under Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa:

  • Write a simple application
    Mention your Full Name, Enrollment Number, request for temporary suspension of practice and Transfer of your name to the rolls of Non-Practicing Advocates.
  • Attach a DD or pay cash of Rs. 300/- as Administrative Fees.
    If you want a Certificate confirming your name on the list of Non-Practicing Advocates (for Profession Tax purposes, or occupation purposes) , you need to pay Rs. 300 + 700 = Rs. 1000 by Cash or DD.
  • If suspending practice temporarily, you do not need to surrender your Advocate’s ID Card or your Certificate of Practice.
  • Within 3 – 8 days, you can collect your Non-Practicing Certificate from the Bar Council Office on showing the Receipt.

You may also like...

10 Responses

  1. Chirag says:

    If want to temporary suspension of practice by Delhi Bar Council of India for three years for acquiring advanced studies.

    What is the procedure and what document are required to be submitted to Bar Council of Delhi

  2. amit says:

    can a suspended government employee enrolled his name in the list os advocate in bar council maharashtra.

  3. Satty says:

    I have a question. What If the person goes to practice again. Does he have to go through the entire procedure of enrollment and pay the same whopping amount?

    Please throw some light.

  4. Sandhya says:

    How long is the temporary suspension valid?

    If there is any such duration, then what will happen to my standing after expiry of the temporary suspension i.e., will I be considered as a practicing advocate on roll or still continue in the list of non-practicing advocate?

    If I want to resume my practice during my temporary suspension state, then what are the requirements that I need to fulfill?

  5. Sandhya says:

    I am asking all the above questions with respect to Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa.

  6. Rajesh A.More says:

    can a municipal corporator practice as an Advocate

  7. shweta yadav says:

    Can a municipal corporator or councillor can practice advocacy?

  8. Tanvir Fatimabee ... says:

    I am nt practising as a advocate due to my health issues ….shud i file returns or shud i tke a non practicing advocate certificate from bar council …plz revert me ….

  9. Meenal says:


    The application has to be sent on what address?


  10. Rajesh says:

    I tried to get in touch with bar council but they said we need to surrender enrollment and COP even if its temporary surrender !

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: The content on this website is (C) Lawgic.info. Ask for permission at info@lawgic.info !!