Leave and License Document Registration in Mumbai without an agent or broker or consultant
No need for an agent, No need to bribe anyone, No need to appoint a lawyer or consultant
Updated on 13-Mar-2014
Summary of the Procedure:
- Draft the document. Print it out. It can be printed on green or white Legal Size paper. Each page must be printed on both sides BACK TO BACK ONLY.
- Buy the Stamp Paper / eStamp / Frank the document
- Execute / Sign the document
- Enter the document details online.
- Get a token for registration.
- Go to the registrar office at the appointed time.
What you need on the day of registration:
- The original Leave and License Document
- Original Receipt of Stamp Duty Paid
- Franking on the Document or eStamp Challan from the GRAS website. In case of Franking of documents, the bank needs to send the details of your franking to the Registrars Office.
- 2 Witnesses to identify the signatories
- 1 ID Proof of each witness, the copy of which must be attached to the document.
- A copy of the Registration Appointment Token Number
- A Pay Order / Demand Draft for the Registration Fees
- Cash for Misc copying and scanning expenses to be paid on the day of registration.
- A printout of your Public Document Receipt.
- The registration input form (filled only in Marathi). Available from the Photocopy shop outside the office.
- Proof of Ownership for the Licensor Eg:. Electricity Bill / Phone Bill / Society Maintenance Bill with the Address of the premises.
- A little bit of patience.
1. The original Leave and License Document
- Duly “Executed” by all the parties to the agreement.
- All parties must sign each page.
- All handwritten corrections or markings should have the signature of all parties against it.
- Each page must be printed on both sides BACK TO BACK ONLY.
- The blank side of each page must be struck off with the word “BLANK” across it, along with the signature of each party on the blank page.
- A photograph of each party must be placed next to their signature when executed. The left thumb impression of each party must be applied below the signature next to the photograph.
2. A photocopy of the Leave and License Document
- Both sides of the document (incl the BLANK side should be copied)
- This step is redundant since scanning was introduced, but carry it anyway.
3. Receipt of Stamp Duty Paid
- When you pay the Stamp Duty or buy stamp paper or Frank the documents, you get a receipt for the payment.
- This is important and must be submitted at the time of registration.
4. Franking on the Document or eStamp Certificate
- The document must bear the correct value of Stamp Duty.
- Stamp Duty can be paid through Stamp Papers, eStamp, Franking on the Document or any other prescribed mode.
- Paying through eChallan system is the best. Franking is now more tedious, as they expect the Bank to send an SMS to the Registrars Office, to confirm payment of the fees.
5. 2 Witnesses to identify the signatories
- You must have 2 witnesses to identify the signatories to the document.
- The witnesses must be present at the time of Registration as they will be photographed on the spot.
6. A photocopy of the ID Proof of each witness
- The witnesses must attach a photocopy of their ID Proof along with the document.
- On each ID Proof copy the words “Witness 1” / “Witness 2” should be written for better sorting as per the correct order that appears in the document.
7. A copy of the Registration Appointment Token Number
- This is important, since it contains the Public Document number, the appointment time, the toke number and the party details.
- Incase of eToken, you can take a printout from the website.
- Read this article on How to get the Registration token online.
8. A Pay Order / Demand Draft for the Registration Fees
- The pay order should be of the correct value
- It should be from a Nationalized / Scheduled Bank, although in some cases they do accept Pay Orders from other banks too.
- The name on the pay order should state the correct Registration Office.
9. Cash for Miscellaneous copying and scanning expenses to be paid on the day of registration.
- At the time of registration you will be expected to pay cash for the scanning / copying expenses of the document on a per page basis. The cost is about Rs. 22 per page..
10. A printout of your Public Document Receipt.
- This is a printout of your receipt of the Public Document that you had entered into the iSarita website.
11. The registration input form (filled only in Marathi)
- While the form states “for office use only”, you are expected to fill in this form.
- This form is to be filled in Marathi only.
- Some people are of the opinion that the form differs from office to office, but the content is all the same.
12. A little bit of patience
- Sometimes you may need a lot of it. But overall, the process is not so difficult.
- Also, dont forget to carry gum / paste / staplers / pens / clipboard and any other stationary that you may need.
Step 1: Enter the office on time.
Step 2: Submit the details to the clerk for verification.
Step 2: Get the Signature of the Senior Officer for approval.
Step 4: Give the document back to the clerk for stamping each page with a paging stamp.
Step 5: All parties and witnesses must get their photo clicked and thumb impression taken.
Step 6: Make a payment for the scanning fees in Cash to the Officer and obtain a receipt.
Step 7: Sign in the Attendance Register.
After following this process, on the next working day or a couple of days later, you will need to go back to the office to collect the registered document along with the thumbnail sized document copy and CD.
You need to show the original receipt of registration when you go to submit the document. One of the parties should collect it.