69 A. Power to issue directions for blocking for public access of any information through any computer resource
- the Central Government or
- any of its officer specially authorized by it in this behalf
is satisfied that it is necessary or expedient so to do in the interest of
- sovereignty and integrity of India,
- defense of India,
- security of the State,
- friendly relations with foreign states or
- public order or
- for preventing incitement to the commission of any cognizable offence relating to above,
it may subject to the provisions of sub-sections (2) for reasons to be recorded in writing, by order direct any agency of the Government or intermediary to block access by the public or cause to be blocked for access by public any information generated, transmitted, received, stored or hosted in any computer resource.
(2) The procedure and safeguards subject to which such blocking for access by the public may be carried out shall be such as may be prescribed.
(3) The intermediary who fails to comply with the direction issued under sub-section (1) shall be punished with
- an imprisonment for a term which may extend to seven years and
- also be liable to fine.