This article deals with the topic of an FIR or First Information Report.
What is an FIR?
Under section 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and FIR is a report of First Information of a cognizable offence under the Indian Penal Code. It is basically a record of primary information received, regarding the commission of a criminal offence or crime as per IPC.
When is an FIR filed?
Where can an FIR be filed?
What does an FIR contain?
A First Information Report FIR contains the following fields:
- Acts and Sections
- Occurence of Offence: Day / Date from / Time / Date to / Time
Information Received at Police Station: Date / Time
General Diary Reference: Entry No. / Date / Time
- Type of Information: Written / Oral
- Place of Occurrence:
Direction and Distance from Police Station
Chouki/Beat/OP Name and No.
Address of Occurrence:
Name / No. if any / Ward / Name of Road
Nearest Identifiable place / Village / Post / Taluka / Distt. / State
In case, outside the limit of this Police Station: Taluka / Distt. / State
- Complainant / Informant:
Name / Father’s / Husbands Name
Date of Birth and Age / Nationality / Phone No.
Passport No. / Date of Issue / Place of Issue / Occupation
Religion / Caste / Sub-caste
Address / Ward / House Name / No. / Phone / M. No / PAN No. / Card No.
Road / Nearest Identifiable place / Village / Post / Police Station
Taluka / Distt. / State / Present Address
- Details, Name and Address of Known Accused (attach separate sheet if necessary) Particular physical features of suspect to be mentioned on form 1-B and maybe attached to case diary.
- Reasons for delay in reporting by the complainant / informant
- Particulars of properties stolen and involved (attach necessary proforma) Write down details on blank page.
- Total value of properties:
(a) stolen / involved
- Unnatural / Accidental Death Case No. (if any)
- First Information (brief contents) Attach separate sheet if required or write details overleaf on the blank side
- Action Taken: (since the above offence relates to commission of offence(s) under the sections mention in Item No. 2
(1) Registered the case or took up the investigation or Directed (Name of Investigating Officer / Rank / No. ) to take up the investigation or
(2) Refused investigation due to (Reason)
(3) Transferred to Police Station (Name) due to jurisdiction
- FIR Read over to the complainant / informant, admitted to be correctly recorded and a copy given to the Complainant / Informant free of cost.
Signature / Thumb impression of informant / Complainant
Signature of Officer in-charge: Name / Rank / No.
- Date and Time submitted to court
Posting Code No. of Investigating Officer
- Copy to: Complainant / Supdt. of Police / Inv Officer / Office Copy